Sunday, February 11, 2007

quotes and random thoughts...

I've recently had the honour of becoming reacquainted with my friend, JM. I think we share both a concern for our communities and a desire to help shape something other than what is currently presented to "Aboriginal" people and First Nations. He recently returned from a visit home and proclaimed, "I can't think of anything worse for my soul than a band meeting." I'm sure many of you, who've partaken in the band politics of home, even as an observer, can relate. When I posted this quote on my Facebook page, Old Man Rivers sarcastically remarked, "but that's where real change happens!" :I

I hate being cynical. Am I? I think some would say I am. I've also been characterized as a hopeless romantic. I like being a romantic more than a cynic.

There are times, however, when I cannot but help feel so strongly about what is right and wrong about the world, especially our Indigenous world. And despite being a self-proclaimed "revolutionary turned rebel" I recognize that true and everlasting change will take time, more than I have at present. Despite this acknowledgement, we can all still play a fundamental part. I don't know what the answer is, but I think it involves some forms of righteous resistance, taking action when it is required, and re-creating a legacy of hope, dignity and justice for those who will follow us.

I've been feeling very reflective this past week. A lot has gone on it seems. What did brother Malcolm teach about chickens? They come home to roost. Que sera sera, what will be will be. C'est la vie. Aaniikwaa. Let the chips fall where they may. Let no appropriate cliche be neglected. I resist declarations and resolutions. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it is because I can't stand the disappointment. And this is not to say that I have never kept my word or accomplished things I've set out to do. Times, they are a changin'.

I recently watched Troy and The Last Samurai again. I'm still a sucker for movies. Two of my favourite quotes from those movies respectively, are: "Honour the Gods, love your woman, and defend your country." (I would say, "nation" instead though) - Hector; and "Life in every breath...that is the way of the warrior." - Katsumoto.

It's almost the start of another week. Have a good one. Make it a good one. cuu, W

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i always figured that the only way to be a tru romantic (meaning, not just a poor naive soul), is to be extremely cynical. Sounds kinda contradictory, but the only way to hold on to your romantic convictions, is to first acknowledge the cynical truth about everything (nothing matters, and so what if it did, as my dad used to say). Once you have resigned to the harsh reality, you are free to once again believe in the goodness and sacredness of all life. Does that make any sense? Oh well, I hope you appreciate my words as much as I do yours. And for movies, my god, did you seriously just quote a movie about the ultimate white guy (Tom Cruise) as the "last Samurai", uggghh i have never seen such appropriation. Check out "The Last Unicorn", now that is a feel good movie, and no cultural appropriation. keep writing! Tara.

Na'cha'uaht said...

Dances with Samurai...c'mon!!!

Rivers said...

All these movies about racial/ethnic minorities.

Kevin Cosner in Dances with Wolves
Daniel Day-Liews in The Last of the Mohicans
Tom Cruise in The Last Samauri

Next they'll be making

"THE LAST BLACK MAN ALIVE" starring LEONARDO DECAPRIO!