Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Escapism

I've been thinking about the nature and ethics of escapism, not only in my life but in the lives of my fellow Indigenous revolutionaries. By escapism I mean everything from day dreaming to playing video games, to watching movies to mind-altering substances, to mererly unplugging, to taking off to the other side of the world. My methods of escapism? Well since my cell phone's been cut off, I have to admit it's nice to not be as reachable as I used to be. I have an old fashioned phone line with NO FEATURES whatsoever, so when I'm on the phone and people call, they get a busy signal. When was the last time you heard one of those? And instead of voicemail, I have an answering machine with the bad sound that I bought from the Salvation Army thrift store for $3.50, which I have not figured out how to check remotely yet. Riding my motorcycle at times used to be a form of escapism for me, but since I'm not riding it this winter, about all I have is a bus ride and my iPod. Speaking of iPods, music often does it for me, especially when accompanied by a hot tub and a glass of red wine (did I just type that? ahem...in attempting to recover some sense of machismo, I'm evoking images of Tony Montana, smoking his cigar, watching TV saying, "c'mon pelicans" - when they were really flamingos...lol).

The other reason I was reminded of this issue was recently I've heard from a few rebellious sorts talk of how nice it felt to be away from the "bullshit politics" or enjoying the comforts of a full time job for a change. Now I recognize there are a several emerging issues here and I do not intend to engage them all at this time, however you are more than welcome to. Often, we are frustrated with the current state of affairs, the "bullshit politics" that we decide to disengage or work to find another way. The latter, as many of you will already know, can be a supreme exercise in frustration and seeming futility.

It is not my place to judge for I've been as guilty as the next if we call it that. Perhaps, being human is more accurate.

I believe, especially at times like these, that we need to be able to turn to one other for support. Each of us on our respective paths believe in some common things - freedom, dignity, hope, family. And being on seperate but parallel paths, we are often in a position to help one another. When one is weak the other is strong and so forth. This has been my experience anyway. I don't have the answers. This is more of my own expressions of dispair and hope. What I can tell you is this, if I can be there to help, to give some hope, or merely be a person who can listen with empathy and compassion, I will. I will endeavor to grow stronger so that I can be there for you, my fellow rebels, because I know many of you have been there for me already.

kleco, kleco!

W

5 comments:

Rivers said...

Hawaii boi! OldManRivers is going to Hawaii, and completely follow the ideology of escapism.

But my mother did it for me, otherwise I would be in Cuba, or something.


I don't know what to say though brother, but...

“If you don't get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don't want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can't hold on to it forever. Your mind is your predicament. It wants to be free of change. Free of pain, free of the obligations of life and death. But change is a law, and no amount of pretending will alter that reality.”
- Dan Millman

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to drop you a line and say that I've read the first chapter of Taiaiake Alfred's Wasase, and... well, it was precisely the kind of heartening I needed. A recent municipal election in my city has left me utterly dismayed with people and values today. Reading Alfred's words were therapy of the best kind. If you see him, please say thanks!

Anonymous said...

p.s. by 'on', I meant ON, as in the province. :s

Na'cha'uaht said...

Katie from Ontario...I shall endeavour to pass on your comments to mi companero Alfred...or you can always e-mail him through his www.wasase.org site ;-)

Anonymous said...

Maybe I will write to him. I have about 10 interesting insights a day because of that first short chapter of his.
I wonder if he ever comes here to talk. I'll have to keep my eye out. I think he has a lot to offer not just to the indigenous communities around here but to all people.
In the meantime, pass on my thanks if you do run into him! And thanks to you for your writing too. :) I wonder if you knew the work you are doing out there would have an impact on someone like me... *sighs* this world is so unexpected sometimes.