Tuesday, November 21, 2006

knowing my place


(originally published on my myspace page Nov. 15, 2006)

I'm feeling particularly polemical today. It might be a combination of new tunes (mostly courtesy of Fish), reading about colonial bullshit from here (in Occupied Canada) to South America, co-optation everywhere and the pressure to go along and get along. Ya Basta (Enough) I say! I know I will not get my way 100% but that does not diminish the need for so-called radical or uncompromising positions. I do not pretend to be in a position to have a final say on much of anything, but while the blood of my ancestors continues to flow through my heart I will fight for what I believe to be true and righteous. I know this will attract criticism and allegations of essentialism but I know my place. It has become more and more clear over the years, despite constant pressure and temptation to be diplomatic and "nice."

My mom, bless her heart and love, once lamented my politics primarily because she believed that they would lead me toward a life of depression and frustration. I thought about it for a few moments and replied that if I did not act on what was in my heart, I would truly be depressed and frustrated. The role of the rebel is a calling. It is at times a lonely road, plagued with doubt and fear but it is also paved with hope and dignity, for we know that life is more than mere existence. Life is indeed precious. Specifically, it is precious in how we live it, how we walk with our families, friends and enemies. I do what I do because I believe there is no other way for me. My fate is intertwined with the fate of my people. Viva la rebellion!

2 comments:

Rivers said...

I'm an advocate of essentialism over existentialism any day. Individualism eh! One for all, and all for one!

Any who, read this for help...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(movies)#Osgiliath






P.S. John Locke is a tool. He needed to get layed... (lol)

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this?
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2006/11/16/flanagan-pressclub.html