Sunday, January 21, 2007

some thoughts on indigenous philosophies

I thought that it was about time that I actually put some "work" into this blog again and share some thoughts of my own (along with a few other esteemed thinkers as well). First, should update you on my classes this term. I'm taking: PHIL 209 (Philosophy and First Nations Thought), ENGL 426 (Indigenous Women's Writing and Literary Decolonization), POLI 363 (Introduction to Indigenous Politics), POLI 371 (Chinese Politics) and POLI 433 (Ethnic Conflict and International Security). This should inform you to a certain extent where my head will be at this term, at least academically.

Obviously, I'm taking several Indigenous-themed courses this term. There was a time when one would interpret these as gimmies or easy. I think it's safe to say that that is not the case anymore. The level of thought and engagement on matters concerning indigenous peoples and issues has become increasingly complex and interesting over the years, in the academic arenas I mean. That being said, I think it does help to have an indigenous perspective or worldview when taking these courses. Over the past several years I've had the good fortune to rub elbows with many a smart, young indigenous thinker and rebel.

In taking my PHIL 209 course, I'm reminded of many things I've heard from my father, Wickaninnish and my uncle, Umeek. In particular, I can see the distinct way they see the world and the way they've tried to explain it to me. Being reaised in the city, perhaps it has taken me a little longer than people would have liked, but I believe that their influence along with many other indigenous mentors and teachers I've had has helped me come to the place I am at today (which is where? lol).

Brian Burkhart from the Univeristy of Indiana lays some of the distinctions out nicely in his article, What Coyote and Thales Can Teach Us: An Outline of American Indian Epistemology. First he suggests that a guiding question of life is "What is the right road for humans to walk?" This is to suggest that philosophy is not merely a navel-gazing activity for indigenous people, but the quest for knowledge about how best to live in this world. He then summarizes 4 principles common to many indigenous philosophies:

1) The Principle of Relatedness - all things and people stand in relation and knowing is relational. In Nuu-chah-nulth territory we have the principle of "hish-uuk-ish tsa-waak" (Everything is One). This is in contrast to the (predominant) Western Analytic Philosophical view that people, things and knowledge are 'atomistic.'

2) The Limits of Questioning Principle - Quite simply, the possibility of non-sensical questions arises here. Some things we are not meant to know or have little relevance to us. This of course contrasts with the Western idea that knowledge itself is 'value-free' and can, indeed should be, amassed. From an indigenous perspective, some questions are stupid and more of a sign of confusion than anything.

3) The Meaning-shaping Principle of Action - Knowledge if fluid and so are we. We act, and interact and the world and us change. This contrasts with the Western notion of taking 'snap-shots,' freezing knowledge in time, developing theories and then seeing if they are still relevant to the 'real world' again. Time does not stop and neither do we. We have a moral responsibility to listen and observe constantly.

4) The Principle of a Moral Universe - This again, relates to our rightly living and being in the world. The right way to live is connected to our ability to gain knowledge through our experiences and the experiences of others. This contrasts from the Western idea that knowledge itself if value-free. There is a right way of being and our endeavour to gain more knowledge should facilitate that.

Obviously, this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I think it's pretty cool so far. It might help explain, in part, why you see the world even just slightly differently.

cuu brothers and sisters.

1 comment:

Rivers said...

On that note, are you, (not we), of this world, or in this world?