Saturday, February 04, 2006

bad beats

I have not played poker that long - perhaps over 5 months I have played 10 times (winning 4 times), but this past Thursday I suffered my worst beats thus far. Ok, so I'm at my cousin's place, sippin' juice, eatin' some potato chips getting ready to give my best poker :I and take him, his woman (Chequita) and Buster for their $25 buy-ins. We're playing Texas Hold'em and the first hand is dealt.

I try not to grin as I peak at my pocket ACES (spades and clubs). I ante conservatively hoping to draw em all in. The Flop is layed out and I think there were two more spades...looking promising for a flush as well. I bet a little higher, then the Turn, another spade. That's it, I'm going all in! I think I can't lose, seeing as I have the high spade right? Well Moyses Alou there calls my all-in, so I think he must have the queen or king of spades and is betting that I don't have the ace. Well my anticipation of whiping out my cousin on the first hand is dashed when the River turns out to be a jack of spades and he has, according to him, his first straight flush ever! Trumps my ace-high flush, and in one hand I'm gone.

You think I would have learned my lesson. I'm a pretty bright guy. You would think I could take a cue from the poker gods.

I buy back in at $10. The next hand is pretty uneventful and I fold. The 3rd hand (yep, only third hand of the night) I have two pair, and it's looking pretty good as Buster and Moy folded, so it's just Chequita and I. I go all in, anxious to get back into contention. and she calls. :I She also has two pair, only higher than mine. 3 hands, $35 down. I'm almost in shock and so I don't react as negatively (even in good humour) as you might expect. 3 hands and all of 10 minutes perhaps. So I offer to deal for the next half hour or so, just so I can feel I am getting SOMETHING for my $35 contribution.

Well at least tonight I can have the goal of lasting more than 10 minutes. I have learned what happens when I win twice in a row. Reckless W no more.

No comments: