Wednesday, March 01, 2006

This is NOT it!

I don't have the answers...yet. I have some good ideas and believe it or I am actually implementing some of them. I realize that change often takes longer than we might like, but right now I feel impatient. This morning as I drove to work in my sensible, no-frills Honda civic (with over 300,000km on it), sipping my cafe americano, I yelled out loud at the top of lungs. Fear not, I did not have any passengers to frighten, nor did I do any dangerous swerving, but I was struck by a moment: Something in my gut screamed that this world, our place in it, as it is right now is not right. It can be a hard feeling to describe in theory but I can sure tell you how it feels.

500 Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women.
Are we INSANE? As Indigenous men, how can we tolerate that?
As human beings?
Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30,000 children die from hunger EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Youth suicide epidemics. Our people are killing themselves.
If you talk to some elders, this phenomenon is a recent one...it is very much a legacy of colonialism.
Diabetes? Super Big Gulps. Give that kid a lollipop.
Can't concentrate or sit still? Here, have some ritalin.
Bored? Here, have an X-Box.
Want a treaty? Special price: Your soul.
Let's reconcile. Don't worry, I'll be gentle.
Only if you Indians would go to school. Get a job. Be a consumer.
Be Canadian...a friendly country for sure, polite too.
Wanna fight? Go to court...go ahead. I dare you.
When you win you lose. When you lose you really lose.
Maybe you lost before you started.
Any other tools I can try, master?
Get Rich or Die Trying? Get Free or Die Trying.
Got Fish? Got KD?
Play bingo. We laugh.
Drink. We laugh.
Stick that needle in your arm. We laugh.
We cry.
We scream.
Why is freedom so impractical?
Why are radicals vilified? Crush dissent.
We are used to obeying orders, even a stern look or tone will do it.
Why is dignity radical?
Where is hope? In the Canamerican dream? Boy that Hummer is the shizzle.
I can be like you.
I can be better, really I can.
Forget about creating a strong sense of identity based purely on Indigenous values, principles and worldviews. The imperial vision will do nicely.
I can oppress my brother.
I can be progressive, practical, forward-thinking, a leader.
WTF?!?!
Are you happy?
How is your soul doing?
Who are you?
What makes your life worth living for? What would you die for?
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
Breathe.
Let go of your illusions brother.
Let go of your fears sister.
Be free.
Be Indigenous.

Another way of life is possible.
Live your dreams.
Start now.
Right now.

3 comments:

Rivers said...

I'm not sure what to say. But I know that I am actualy really pissed off now. What the fuck is going on'?!?!

Na'cha'uaht said...

Yeah, sometimes I scream to stay awake (which is a scary thought I know) and other times its cause I need SOME kind of release and there are no punching bags handy. I miss the rumble of the Harley though...

Rivers said...

I usualy hit a cedar tree with plastic stick. It works.