Wednesday, April 26, 2006

has it really been almost 2 weeks?

My apologies dear readers. I've been somewhat delinquent in posting to this blog lately. It's been a busy 12 days. Where do I start? School I think. My friends, family and observant patrons will know that I have been taking an online course this past semester: IGOV 384 through the University of Victoria. I've received A's for all my assignments so far, with the results from my participation and final paper components to go. Wish me luck. Oh, and word around the campfire is I may get my final paper published in a left-wing rag. I'll keep you posted.

I think I am finally over my cough.

That mountain (Lau Wel New), I mentioned in a previous post, well I've climbed it 4 times since. That along with my recent self-imposed denial of evil colonial carbohydrates should get me back in shape just in time for swim suit season. Did I say this last year? Back to the mountain, fight the power Menethia! We got ya back.

Yesterday, I responded to the call from our Vancouver sisters and brothers to help with security at the Six Nations Deterrence Rally. Not to rain on anyone's parade but generally speaking, I am not a big fan of the whole rally, protest, march thing. This one was different though. The feeling, the energy in the air was different. It reminded me of 1990. People, specifically Indigenous people are feeling indignant and dignified again, even though some people are not sure why. They just know that it is a good time to be Indigenous.

Let's see what else did I get up to? I'm reading a REALLY good book: Women of Maize. I am only on page 88 but so far I find the voices of these Indigenous women from Chiapas powerful, inspiring and humbling. For all you rebels and closet-rebels out there, I highly recommend it.

Oh, one last thing. I posted a guest column, "Detoxing From Canada" on my other blog. It was originally published here, the words of a cool settler indeed.

cuu,

No comments: