Friday, April 14, 2006

Mt. Lau Wel New

Yesterday I completed #12 on my list. The mountain was Mt. Lau Wel New (aka Mt. Newton to the local settlers). It was not as big a mountain as I had originally conceived when I drafted my list and I did not 'conquer' it. I was humbled by it, and not just because I have pneumonia or some other plague that makes me cough up my lungs and it kicked my butt, but because of the significance of the mountain to my brothers and sisters of the territory. It probably took about 30 minutes to get to the top and I know that I was going pretty slow, but the view from the top made it feel like we were on top of the world and at a very special place indeed. I am not as well-versed in the local stories as I would like to be to share it with you but I look forward to learning more especially as development threatens this beautiful place. I will keep you, eager reader, informed and enlightened as best I can.

1 comment:

Rivers said...

I can imagine how it feels to climb a mountain like that. I am also determined to climn a mountain in my own territory with a great ammount of history. I've talked about climbing it for years now but once it gets warm enough. I am going to do it.

.highfive on climbing the mountain