Thursday, March 15, 2007

Muppets, Roots and Me

Roots and I are always joking that we are like Waldorf and Stadler. Get the two of us going on some Aboriginal politician or wayward radical Indian and hold on...yeah, we can get pretty merciless from our cozy balcony seats, but at least we can also be appropriately self-deprecating enough to compare ourselves to a couple of old (but funny) Muppets.

Speaking of Roots, she is due in exactly 8 days! I can hardly wait, and I bet neither can Roots, or her family. I know it may sound like a cliche to place hope in the generations, but what the heck, we're indigenous. I think of Risky, Kitten, Old Man Rivers (who's only 17!), Single Joe, Roots' daughter, my own nephew, and all the children of my so-called radical friends. How can I not feel a sense of hope and inter-generational persistence in our fight for a more just, fulfilling, indigenous way of life. Power to the lil peeps!

I know I have not posted on here much recently, and most of that I blame on school, which is still going well by the way. Despite my academic adventures, fear not dear family, friends, allies and enemies, I have not ceased my relentless pursuit of truth. I still think and theorize like there's no tomorrow, write in my journal and discuss and debate these issues with my companeros y companeras. I think it is fair that I be criticized for being somewhat of an essentialist. Most of the time, I do believe things are black and white. Life of course and a friend from time to time, reminds me that sometimes the world is gray. And while I cannot ignore this, I still believe that it is my place to strive for something as free of contradiction as possible.

I know that purity is an impossibility and perhaps, even undesirable, and that there is beauty in complexity. Alas, how can I resist and not fight for what I think is right? As I often do, I must also acknowledge my uncle Umeek, who taught me once that we all play a part. Everyone fulfills some role; an essential role significant to the whole. And maybe none of us are "right" but perhaps, even though we may disagree, we may be right together? Does that make any sense? Did I get it wrong?

This is how I recognize the timely nature of change, evolution and revolution, and my role in life. Recognition of the idea that true, substantial change may take generations is so counter-intuitive to the would-be revolutionary, and yet I still hold on to my revolutionary ideals and zeal, even though I may only be a rebel. All theories aside, I am humbled and honoured to have my parents, my sister, her husband, my nephew, all my father's family, and my mother's family. I'm grateful to my mentors and my padawans. I'm honoured to fight along side my brothers and sisters, and to build alliances with new brothers and sisters. The coalition of the unwilling seems to be growing, year by year, person by person, one warrior at a time. I am exactly where I want to be, right here, right now.

No comments: