Sunday, March 18, 2007

300 and You

Ok, so I finally got to see 300 last week. First, I want to say that I think I'll stop reading film reviews and just make up my own mind. And thus, I feel fine if you ignore me now and make up yours as well. You also know I'm a bit of a sucker for certain elements of pop-fiction (Matrix, Fight Club, V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, etc.) So, my intention here is not to review the film or even comment on any of the hype or controversy, but to highlight certain aspects that I feel they are relevant to us rebellious indigenous types and allies.

Now, I know it is not a deep flick, and like I said, I'm a sucker sometimes, so sue me. I still think there is power in mythology. And like all power, it can be used for good and bad and everything in between (I say this because I don't believe ethics to be strictly dichotomous). Ok, so here is what I liked: Of course I dug the good ole testosterone-driven-warrior-culture and a life of training and preparation (also why I think women should call more of the shots). Speaking of women, I liked how King Leonidas wife responded to the messenger that "it takes a true Spartan woman to give birth to a strong man" or something to that effect.

Of course, I also liked the line, "A Spartan's greatest strength is the warrior next to him." I know there are a lot of cliches about this, "esprit de corps" and all, but I believe it to be true of brothers and sisters in arms, companeros y companeras. I've never been in combat myself, but I can attest to the importance of shared, difficult experiences in helping group cohesion. And I've already taken King Leonidas' line, "This is SPARTA!!!" and replaced Sparta with, Ahousaht! Toquaht, Tseshaht, Kitselas and any other village or home I can think of amongst my indigenous friends and family members (as I imagine booting some faceless messenger requesting our submission).

On a final note, I will end where I started. One thing I was reminded of when thinking of mythology was our own fierceness and brutality in war, historically. Specifically, I am speaking of my own people, the Nuu-chah-nulth and Tsimshian. I remember reading one anthropological account of our notorious "wars of annihilation." I'm reminded of the history of Ahousaht. I will not tell the story here, but I urge you to not think of your warrior traditions with shame or regret. True Wit'waak protected our communities, our women and children, the most vulnerable and above all, the law. I believe that we should think of our willingness to fight for that which we love and revere with dignity and honour; two things we could use more of, in addition to hope.

No comments: