Saturday, October 15, 2005

Race and Imperialism


I know many of you will think that common notions of "race" are antequated or perhaps more precisely, false. That being said, most of you will know what I am talking about. I have nothing against white people specifically because they are white (I have many white friends myself - lol - sorry, could not resist) and I don't automatically agree with all "Indigenous, Aboriginal, First Nations, Native or Indian" people. My primary concern at this time is the values and principles of Imperialism. Without getting too technical (I'll leave that for Kumtux), the primary values I am opposed to are greed, individualism, and mono-theism among others.

All across the world, and defintely here at home, we can see examples of Imperialism trascending race. We see Indigenous people becoming Aboriginal people. We see the abandonment of community, connection, respect and acceptance in favour of Imperialistic ways, in the name of reality and practicality. Most Indian Act Chiefs lament being historically "left out" and are striving for "their place at the table and a bigger piece of the pie." It is my belief that this is where the struggle for aboriginal rights and equality has led us. This struggle, epitomized by legislative and legal reform may have been well-intentioned and even necessary (creating space for people like me to be able express my rebelious opinions), has now outlived its usefulness.

My final thought for today (well this entry anyway) is that I agree that the first step toward justice will require that Indigenous people shed their Aboriginalist (colonial) ways and then our non-Indigenous neighbours must also shed their colonial ways. At first I thought, "wow, as if it was not hard enough already" but one can see the logic if our goal is a truly peaceful and just society. While not advocating for communism as a model for Indigenous liberation, one can see how difficult it has been for Cuba to live as an isolated nation under constant attack from the United States. It might sound cheesy, but really we do have to find a way to "all get along." A Utopian goal perhaps, and one only conceived of in the long, long term. As for now me must have contention.

Hasta la victoria siempre!

No comments: