Friday, October 21, 2005

A Week of Words in Words


Well, I'm home after 6 days on the road (over 800km) and believe me, MY bed and MY pillow feel nice. The first thing I did was drop my mom off and visit with my sister and brother (in-law). Baby Kashus was sleeping and apparently he had a bit of a restless day, so I did not want to disturb him. I'm gonna head over there again today and hopefully catch him awake. I'll have to remember to shave extra close because he, probably not unlike a lot of babies, doesn't like stubble.

I have just returned from 3 days in T'kumlups at the BC AFN Special Assembly and 2 days in North Vancouver at the Summit Chief Negotiators meeting. The main focus of discussion at both meetings was the The New Relationship and the $100,000,000.00 (looks more dramatic with all the zeros) that the BC government recently pledged toward its implementation.

While I'm still working out a more thorough analysis of all this recent hoopla, it is curious that the Premier has taken this on in a way that can only be described as a personal crusade. Another interesting point is that while the leadership council had been pushing this initiative from the start, all of them were them genuinely surprised by the $100,000,000.00 (they had originally suggested a budget of $60,000,000.00). Additionally, I will always advocate for promoting an Indigenous way of life and at the least "inherent rights" over "aboriginal rights" any day. Finally, I have not given up hope on achieving justice for our people and in order for that to occur I believe we need restitution before we even consider reconciliation.

Yesterday, I stepped out of the meeting briefly with an apparent groggy-soul-sapped-look on my face. I ended up chatting with one of the guys helping with the catering. As I wiped my eyes and yawned he said, "We have a saying in the south. My grandma used to say, 'If you talk more than 15 minutes, you're lying,'" and further advice on meetings, "Agenda? We don't need no stinking agenda. We just need to do what needs to get done." I think those were the briefest and best words I heard all day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You always have such a refreshing perspective on the otherwise mundane blah blah blah of politics. Recently, I lost hope in the plight of our people and fear that the money & new relationship will go to waste and the only thing indigenous people will have to show for it is an extra tire roll on the waste's of our leadership... It's comforting to be reminded that I have kin who think and beleive in our indigenous ways... cuu... PAWA