Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Most Revolutionary Thing You Can Do


The other day I was having a chat with Old Man Rivers and we were discussing the overwhelming weight of decolonization and what a young Indigenous person can do. Where does one start? For those of you that have given this some thought you will know what I mean when I say "overwhelming." The magnitude of injustice realized in a very personal way for Indigenous people all over creates an immediate and impatient desire for change. This immediacy can be heard in much of the revolutionary rhetoric of our fellow radicals and dissidents.

During our discussion I realized that Old Man is actually HALF my age! (I went to college with his father) I think it is unblievably cool that he is thinking these things at his age. I was out of place when I was 16 as well. I looked around at my peers and could not understand why they cared about so little or cared about such inane things (clothes, cars, sports). While I wanted to change the world, I had no where near the Indigenous consciousness he has now.

A couple of things occured to me while we were chatting. I don't see him as a kid, but more as a peer. And although I do have some experiences I can share and some mentorship I can offer, we have deep and mutually inspiring discussions. I know this because it is always during such discussions (I've had countless with Lana, Chinuuks, Taiaiake and others) that I come up with my best ideas and realizations. While I don't fully understand it yet and will need to think and discuss the issue more this is what came to mind: The Most Revolutionary Thing We Can Do is to find revolutionary mates and raise revolutionary families.

The change we seek will not be as revolutionary or immediate as we want. The change we want will take generations. Consider hundreds of years of planning. This exercise can be a humbling experience as we realize that our lives and roles in the change may be relatively small, yet no less important. Recognizing our roles is critical to understanding the big picture and our ability to maximize our efforts in the present. This is where I believe we must overcome Frantz Fanon's observation that "each generation, out of relative obscurity, must find its mission, fulfill it or betray it."

It is that obscurity that we must overcome. We must connect the generations, hence the revolutionary mate and radical rugrats. Imagine the power and legacy of raising socially conscious, strong, intelligent, cultural children.

W

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We must connect the generations, hence the revolutionary mate and radical rugrats. Imagine the power and legacy of raising socially conscious, strong, intelligent, cultural children.
______________________________________

Thanks for the observation. Just imagine what it would mean for the future of our Nations if we did precisely this? One can only begin to grasp the infinite possibilities of change if only a groupful of people actually did this and watch the change grow exponentially.

X.

Anonymous said...

In my humble opinion if you want or already have kids then of course the most revolutionary thing you can do is raise socially conscious, strong, intelligent, cultural children.

If however, you have the desire to live this life without procreating then perhaps the most revolutionary thing you can do is trust that desire; and go where that desire leads you.

Perhaps there are revolutionaries in our midst who are destined to do, see and be things that they could not if they took on the lifelong responsibility of raising revolutionaritos.

Taking a long view is vital but we must remember that each generation has responsibilities that reach beyond spawning the revolution of the future...for the future never really comes.

Celia

Na'cha'uaht said...

I agree. Speaking in absolutes is problematic. Each of us must find our own path. I am more than willing to support ALL of our people who burn with a similar desire for truth and justice.

I have always gotten a kick out of paradox. I appreciate both the unavoidable reality of today and the responsibility to find some continuity between our present actions and the world we leave behind.

gracias sister sanchez.

W

Anonymous said...

In theory it makes sense however from the 'history repeats itself' it does not.

Many parents have tried to raise their children with their views...some have been born to racist families, other to those who train them to be the best athelete from the day their born, others to those who are extremely religious and want their children to be good god fearing people and the list goes on...

My point is for time immemorial parents have been raising their children as they want them to be and in theory you would think it would work however, children have a way of rebelling...

You can not control their destiny. You can give them guidence and support but you can not predict what their future holds afterall it is their future, their life, and the Creator is the only one who can control their destiny.

On a personal note...It would be awesome if it would work! I am not considered a radical by any means however I do have strong opionions for myself, my family, and my nation.

I have planted seeds in my childrens' minds and I know that they growing. They are not revolutionaries yet but one day they may very well be (hopefully).

Rivers said...

I agree that in order to create sustainability, which comes after survival, we need to have family raised in a sence that is different from the way we were raised. Different from, capitalistic, narrow-minded, euro-amerocentric P.O.V with pagan/our values/way of life as aposed to the "Christian" values and way of life. This includes language, thought patern, hereditary traits (those things we do that our parents did but no madder how hard it is to not do them, we still do them.)

To quote my master, "Only a sith deals in absolutes". (I think my Wookie friend understands).

The thing about that, before the family is to, like i said, survive first. We need to start by puting our values and belief systems under a magnifying glass and let it burn under the sun and let the things burn away. Although, it would considerably naive to think we can COMPLETLY de-colonize ourself 100%, we can start it so our children but not only them OTHERS who see us change.

Survival ---> Sustainability ---> Stewardship ---> Gum Drop & Lolly Pop Utopia!