Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wednesday Morning Fog

'Morning troops. I often feel groggy Wednesday mornings, primarily because Tuesdays are long days - ending with Goin' Coastal and the long drive home (Port Alberni). Last night was the first night of a formatting experiment: Fish from 6-7, Succha from 7-8 and me from 8-9. Any of you tune in? Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

At about 8:20 we interviewed Leela Gilday (pictured above). I heard her for the first time and picked up her CD, "Spirit World, Solid Wood," at the UBC longhouse about this time last year. Along with having a beautiful singing voice and busy music career she shared some of her thoughts of opposition to the looming Mackenzie Valley Pipeline running through Denendeh. If you are in Vancity today you can check her out at Cafe Montmartre (4362 Main Street) with Paula Toledo and Jason Burnstick at 8pm (no cover).

If you dug my musical selection last night, here is a playlist from the hour of Dubya:

(not in exact order - but close)

1. Rebel Without A Pause by Public Enemy
2. Bang Bang by Ohene
3. Shaolin Worldwide by Wu-Tang Clan
4. George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People by The Legendary K.O.
5. Heavy by El Vuh
6. Since You Left Me by Leela Gilday
7. Fortunate Son by Wyclef Jean
8. Voices by Wicked Minds (feat. Kid Frost)
9. Unstoppable by KRS-One and Chuck D.

2 comments:

Lowerider said...

Hola W,
I listened to the show last night from an Internet cafe here in Mexico. I like to hear you guys and keep connected to what's going on at home, even though it makes me a little homesick.

About the new format; I think about past shows and it seems the best ones are those where you guys get your rapport flowing. You all have different ideas, strengths and experiences that play off each other and that makes 'good radio'. This new format seems to stifle that a bit.

Also, I like the mix of your musical tastes, rather than blocks of each. I'm tempted to tune out for an hour when I don't like the music. When it's all mixed up I don't tune out because I don't know what's coming next and I don't mind sitting through a song or two to find out.

I try and listen whenever I can. It keeps me connected and inspired and you guys make me laugh about some very serious issues. Every week I am reminded that I'm not nuts and I'm not alone. Thanks for that.
Lana

Anonymous said...

Where in the world is Roots???