Saturday, September 10, 2005

Down in Mituuni way...

For those of you unfamiliar with the Nuu-chah-nulth language "Mituuni" is what we call Victoria, a bastion of colonialism if ever there was one. In 1994 I worked in England for a brief period of time and I ran into people who had been to Victoria, BC who unjokingly stated, "Victoria is more English than England!" It is also the traditional (I use this word hesitantly, because it implies historical and therefore often, "no more" - certainly a physical reality, albeit not completely surrendered for a few still-brave resisters) of the Songhees, Esquimalt and Saanich nations.

I have just finished brunch with the Big T at the Blue Fox, a hip breakfast joint with an ever present line-up that reminds me of Slickety Jim's Chat N' Chew in Vancouver. Despite the throngs of funky looking white folks in their vintage Value Village-esque attire, I'm convinced at least a part of the revolution will be plotted in such places. Where else is a de-colonizing Indian to go to get some healthy chow? I know, I know...down by the river with a spear or weir. In time.

So as I ate my Breakfast Salad (fruit, yogurt, granola) and silently wondered if I would break down next year and buy short pants, sandels and take up yoga, we talked about T's new book, Wasase. I have shared some initial thoughts on it on my other blog: www.kumtux.blogspot.com but have since read about 50 more pages and I am having trouble puting in down. I believe it truly is a revolutionary book and timely as the numbers of free-thinking, rebellious young Indigenous peeps grows.

Well, my (non-starbucks) mocha frappe has run dry and it's a beautiful day out; time to get on my 599 and hit the open road. Tonight we are having a dinner for my Grandma Evelyn's Birthday - incidentally, she is a descendant of K'amiina, a fierce and prolific warrior who fought in the Ahousaht-Ohtsoos war - a story I will tell you about another time.

Cuu!

No comments: