Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Getting Ready for NEXT Bathing Suit Season


Well now that the West Coast Warrior Society has disbanded (more info here) I've decided that being up around 250 lbs. plus is no longer required...lol. As I've stated in a previous blog, being a new nuhyiiksuu (uncle) brings with it a new perspective on how I take care of myself. So, friends, family and foes alike, Dubya is on a mission: become a lean, mean (non-violent) fighting machine.

I'm starting with walking and hiking and for the record I've walked or hiked (34 minutes at the shortest and two hours at the longest so far) for 7 days and on the 8th day I rested and I've started again by hiking for 60 minutes and walking for 40 minutes this week. A funny thing happened last week though as I went for a walk during the lunch (half) hour. The office I work in is situated on a road frequently travelled by friendly Indigenous folk, so as I ambled down the road, people kept pulling over to ask if I needed a ride somewhere. I'm sorry, did I not look like I was exercising? I've decided that I need to swing my arms more and look more serious about my walking, perhaps even don some shorts. Now, to be clear it's not like I was dawdling but I guess I wasn't doing my best hip-swaying-speed-walking champ impression either.

I've also decided to watch what I eat. The Atkins revolution be damned, I have opted not for no-carb but lower-carb and pouncing on every bit of seafood I come across. All joking aside, I agree with Dr. T. and Dr. Corntassel in that we Indigenous folks need to de-colonize more than our minds, but also our diets. Down with fry-bread power! You have been genetically programmed to kick ass on your traditional food, so brush those potato chip crumbs off your shirt and go catch a fish.

Your soon to be svelte dubya...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dubya,

Another West Coaster here...... I agree we should decolonize our diets but wonder the people that gathered food where are they? It's a little tougher
than it sounds. We need ability to move from resource to resource. There are pooer folk that can't move not won't can't or we can't access resources.
Seafood is expensive! Were lucky with the 30 fish we get a year to feed our family. We used to have fisher people out there on a regular basis distributing food to all the people. Very few deer or elk hunters left
either. What about seal hunters very few of those either. Can't remember any young men hunting duck either for enough to distribute? Well just keep in
mind our resources are under hostage right now. Yes eat healthier but not all of us are pri"village"d to make that choice. Just a few of my concerns about regaining food choice. Last I went food bank didn't offer traditional food. Or traditional food distarbution is broken right now. Above isn't even
half of what we could eat before. Written with love to my brothers andsisters out there. chuu way, Siiaqup

Na'cha'uaht said...

Siiaqup,

I agree that some people must live away from home for various reasons, usually medical, but I do believe that a majority do have a choice. And I don't buy the arguement of insufficient housing. If we truly want to decolonize, we have to think beyond the framework of the reservation and what the band can or cannot provide. A good friend of mine is in the process of building a place to live on the land, off the res in our traditional territories. He is making his world a better place with his own two hands, and not in the typical individualist-consumer way.

With rare exceptions (ie. medical) we ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE...if we are willing to think outside the mainstream or even "aboriginal" mindset.

cuu,

Anonymous said...

cool... now only if we could get the rest of our men/women to do the same....... Being an uncle now that would be a good example! chuu, Siiaqup