Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Friends Still Shop at Wal-Mart :I


A couple months ago I wrote an article that appeared in Ha-shilth-sa about the evils of the Wal-Mart empire and why, especially as Indigenous people, we needed to think about the effects that our decisions as consumers have on the ongoing exploitation of our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world. I don't think I expected everyone to stop shopping there (it should be noted that some never did or had already decided not to) but I did hope to get people thinking and I believe that I did accomplish that. So while several of my friends and family members report (confess) that they still shop there, they do tell me they feel guilty about it...lol.

I don't believe that guilt is an effective tool, however. It certainly has not worked on the majority of non-Indigenous people here in North America. I believe that instead we need to inform and inspire. Judgement can be an ugly thing and while I have increasingly strong views and convictions, I don't want to be a stick in the mud either. I don't have the answers just yet, but I will let you know as soon as I do. Perhaps the best way is to live a good, principled, Indigenous life (and occasionally use cute puppy pictures to at least convince the sentimental, nice dog-lovers!)

W

Note: you can also find the original, "Why Wal-Mart Is Bad For You" here

No comments: