Thursday, September 29, 2005

Losing Hope Is Freedom

2 days in Skwxwu7mesh territory
A gathering at Joe's house
All expenses paid
A room full of "aboriginal" politicos
and 1 born-again-Indian-friend Premier
Good words and $100 Million!
The big cheeses gush with praise
It's almost embarassing

The voice of dissent diminishes
One voice from Haida Gwaii
One voice from Cowichan
One voice from the Nuu-chah-nulth-aht
One voice from the other side of the Mountains

Years ago, I was perplexed
Then Bored
Then Frustrated
Then Angry
Today I lost hope
Today I am free

I finally understand
To lose hope is freedom
These men will not lead us
Government funded dissent
Today I lost all hope
And it did not make me sad
Today I am free

It will not begin in Vancouver
It will begin at home
In the words of our ancestors
It will begin on our shores
it will begin in our mountains
We are already free

Losing Hope Is Freedom

Another Way is Possible

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our little mechanism of hope, achieved in ourselves to cushion the shock of thought manages to warp our whole world.

...To most men the most hateful statement possible is,"A thing is because it is." Hope cushions the shock of experience.

John Steinbeck, "Log from the Sea of Cortez" (1941).