Monday, September 19, 2005

Mercedes SUV: 2, Dubya's Moto: 0


I really felt like I deserved a liquid lunch today. Instead, I opted an "adult slurpee" (iced mocha frappe) and wireless internet at Serious Coffee on Douglas. OK, so I'm in town to do some shipping and banking and I start the morning at my new favourite Victoria breakfast joint: The Blue Fox. Just as the server is setting down my food, me and a few of the other patrons notice a Mercedes SUV backing into my motorcycle. He pushes is it against the kick stand and knocks it over. We all think he has noticed this as he starts to pull ahead. My expression shifts from jaw-dropped disbelief to horror as he slowly starts to back over it again! Well, about 3 or 4 of us all yell for him to stop to no avail, but what else are you gonna do?

I get out there, and by some grace of God he has noticed and has stopped backing up and he says to me, "It's really hard to see out of the back of that thing." I stand there dumbfounded, noticing that before he came along, it was clear for 50 feet in both directions. He helps me pick it up and we exchange information. There are some noticable scratches, the left mirror is knocked loose and the clutch lever is pushed out of place a bit, but otherwise it seems ok. I'm going to get it checked out by my mechanic anyway. A couple people inside offered me their phone numbers just in case it gets legally messy. The guy seemed genuinely concerned and responsible, but who knows these days?

To the Blue Fox's credit, breakfast was still good.

After picking up another copy of Tai's book to send to LL in Mexico, and adding it to her other carefully pre-packaged stuff I head down to the courier to send it down to La Paz. An hour later, I am an expert on shipping stuff internationally. There were about 30 different types of items in the care package and I had to itemize each one, estimate their value and note the country of manufacture. Oh, and I discovered the number of seemingly innocuous things that cannot be sent by air - bug spray, sun-screen spray, allergy pills among other things. I should say that the woman (who's name I did not get) who helped me was very nice and patient and guided me through it all. It may get there in time. Everyone send good vibes, rub your rabbit's feet and keep your fingers crossed.

Again, I cannot ignore the fact that it is a beautiful day and I am riding my (slightly more scratched) motorcycle while others sit in their cubicles and attend pre-planning meetings getting ready for the big meeting. A message to all you drivers of big azz SUV's, please HELP us two-wheelers keep the shiney side up, rubber side down!

W

No comments: