Monday, September 19, 2005

Images of Beer Bongs, Streaking and Big Days at Home Depot


I'm back in Mituuni, sitting in Roots' living room listening to "Self-Determination" by Tha Masses and happily accessing the internet for free, likely because some hapless (or generous) consumer did not add a password when they installed their new wireless router. I rode my bike down after we hosted a reinvigorated (we kinda took the summer off) Nuu-chah-nulth tsiik'tsiik'a dinner at my pop's place. It was nice to see Chips (Fish was too tired), Pawa, Hish-Miik and family, Richard, my Mom, Sis and Kashus. Last Fall Pawa, Hish-Miik and I approached my Dad (Wickaninnish) about learning our Nuu-chah-nulth language and while it might be hard to wrap our brains and tongues around it, we are learning.

I like Mituuni. I have a lot of friends down here and in case you don't already know, I will be taking my partially-educated butt back to school next year. I have re-registered at the University of Victoria to finish my BA in Political Science. I get to keep the same student number, which begins with a 93 to give you an idea of the last time I was here. People were still doing the Macarena back then! I wonder what it will be like hanging out with all the 20 year olds in third year? I have images of Rodney Dangerfield and Will Farrell streaking through my head.

Yesterday I, along with 754 other motorcycles participated in the Port Alberni Toy Run. It was the first time I ever rode in it and it is hard to describe the feeling of idling amongst hundreds of Harleys just before they fire the cannon to signal the start of the ride beginning at Little Qualicum Falls. My buddy Chii-a-is just grinned and said it sounded like "rolling thunder." It was pretty damn cool to ride with that many bikes around Cameron Lake and through Cathederal Grove, and then get it up to about 130 up Argyle. When you grin in a full face helmet, all it does is make your cheeks look really chubby...lol.

Keep the shiney side up, rubber side down.

moto-w

No comments: