Sunday, January 01, 2006

Polar Bear W

Last week while at my uncle Russ' place for dinner, another uncle, Arnie announced that he was having a New Year's Day Polar Bear swim at his place. Cool...in more ways than one. I am always game for jumping into some chilly water believe it or not, and also an opportunity to knock item #16 off my list.

There were 9 polar bears this day, in front of my Uncle's house at Shell Beach in Chemainus territory on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Uncle Frank (who did not participate other than snapping some pictures) said a few thankful and encouraging words before we ran in. I was not the first in. In fact by the time I ran far enough to dive in, some people were already on their way out. Frida's brother and I stayed out for a bit, swimming a short ways, at least a minute or two. Boy what a shock to the system! Do you ever feel alive when you come out - all your senses feeling on fire. After the dip we enjoyed some home-made clam chowder and bannock. :d

Last night I rang in the New Year (sans kiss) with some good friends in Mituunii (Victoria). Tonight, my sis, bro-in-law and I will take our parents out for dinner. I'll also be thinking of some sort of retrospective on the 2005 of W...it was quite a year.

P.S. For those of you who missed it, that old school dance I was doing a couple of posts ago was the "Cabbage Patch!" :p

1 comment:

Rivers said...

I have a similar one on my list too. Similar but not the same...LOL

But swimming in the cold, glacier water sure feels great after eh. No wonder our people did it.